Why try yoga? Well, tonight, it’s free! Visit Dragonfly Yoga + Wellness for a free level 2 class at 7:30 p.m.
There are lots of great benefits of a regular yoga practice. Here are just a few:
1) Stress relief: Yoga & pranayama (focused breath work) help relieve stress by bringing the sympathetic nervous system (which helps people deal with crisis situations) and parasympathetic nervous system (which helps slow the heart and lower the blood pressure, allowing recovery after a stressful event into balance.
2) Improved Joint functionality: yoga poses incorporate stretching with strengthening, bring greater range of motion and stability to the joints. The movements also aid in joint lubrication.
3) Relief during THAT time of the month: Studies show yoga helps lower the level of hormones in your system than give you menstrual cramps. Try Janu Sirsansa, head to knee pose, and Ustrasana, camel pose, to compress and then stretch the abdominal muscles.
4) Energy: Yoga works on unblocking “stuck” blocks of energy along the spine by bringing “prana”, or energy, into the back and throughout the body with breath and movement. Certain pose combinations, like sun salutations, are designed to make you strong, powerful, and confident, and enhance focus.
5) Better Sleep: Yoga help with sleep issues by lowering stress levels, calming the mind and relieving tension in the body. Certain resting poses like forward bends and inversion poses like supported shoulder stand are often recommended for insomnia.
Hope to see you tonight in Livermore!